Monday, December 9, 2013

Day 16 and 17 of 20 Days/ 20 Cards and Curly Wreath Tutorial

I'm so glad I can post today. Yesterday I was having problems with my computer, but that is taken card of and I have two cards for you today and a tutorial of the Curly Wreath.

The two cards I chose today I used the same stamp set Beautiful Season. You might remember that I posted a card similar using this set but in a different format. I made the three cards to show how the same stamp set can be used in different ways to get an entirely different look. First the previous card.

I used the same stamp, the same card stock but used the Oval Collections to feature the holly and the bird.

The card has the same background image but setting the bird on it's own in a rectangle and then adding the Joy on the small oval changes the look.

I used more green in this card and it picks up the green in the holly leaves. For all three cards I used Gumball Green, Real Red, Crumb Cake and Black Stazon Ink.
It would be fun sometime to see just how many different layouts I could come up with using one stamp set.

Tutorial for Curly Wreath

You have seen several of my Curly Wreaths and I thought you might be interested or curious how I go about putting one together. The process is the same for each wreath except I chose a bow for some and and a placket for the the word "Merry" for others.

 Completed wreath

What you will need for this project: 6-7 sheets of Designer Series Paper, Paper Trimmer, Bone Folder, 8 1/2' x 11" piece of Cherry Cobbler card stock, Ribbon for hanging. 12 inch wreath and 150 straight pins.


 Step 1. Choose 6-7 Sheets of Designer Series Paper. Stampin' Up! designer series paper is double-sided.  The paper comes in 12" x 12" sheets 12 sheets to a package. There are 2 sheets of each pattern.
Step 2. Using my Paper Trimmer, I cut the paper at 6" and cut both halves at once.
 Step 3. Cut all 6-7 sheets of paper in 1/2" width x 12" long. If you would rather cut some and see how many more you will need instead of cutting all at once that is fine too. That way you won't have any left over strips. I cut mine up at the same time because I am making many wreaths and can use the strips on another wreath.

 Step 4. Using a bone folder, curl each piece of paper just like you would when curling ribbon for a package. You end up with curled strips like these.
 I put all my curls in a plastic bag and mix them up
 Step 5. With straight pins, insert the pin in the middle of the curl and press it into the Styrofoam wreath. I alternate patterns of curls so I don't have a spot where there is several of the same pattern. Continue around the wreath. You will use approximately 150 straight pins. Don't worry about covering the back, it will be up against the wall. I cover the sides half way down. The inside of the wreath is covered automatically when you insert the curls around the wreath form.  I leave a 4 " space at the top of the wreath for the ribbon for hanging.  If you are going to add a ribbon at the bottom on the front of your wreath, you will need to remove some of the curls until you have the correct amount of space for your bow. When you like how your bow looks, reinsert the curls. When your wreath is complete, check for any white spots and add curls if needed.
 
Step 6. I used the new Gift Bow Bigz Die from the Holiday Catalog. You can purchase the Gift Bow Die by here  
 Or use wide ribbon for your bow. For the ribbon to hang the wreath, I cut about 18 inches and wrap the ribbon around the wreath and tie a knot. I then make another knot leaving a loop for hanging.

Stampin' Up! Products to Make This Wreath

Designer Series Paper 6 1/2 sheets
Bone Folder
Paper Trimmer
Cherry Cobbler card stock
Gift Bow Die
Big Shot Die Cutting Machine
1 1/2"  wide Ribbon approximately 25" long

Non Stampin' Up! Products
12 inch white Styrofoam wreath
150 Straight Pins 

If you have any questions, email me and I will do my best to answer them. I hope you enjoyed by tutorial today give this project a try.

Until next time..Happy Stampin' !
Jane
post signature





No comments:

Post a Comment