Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Ceramic Pine Tree Costers

Today I have turned ceramic tiles into ceramic coasters. There are several ways to decorate tiles, but I wanted to see if embossing them and then sealing them with water based clear finish would keep them in mint condition.
Notice that the background of the coaster is dull. This is the way you want the tiles.....no glaze.
These photos were taken before I sealed them. You can see the tree looks shinny; that's the embossing. I really like the way they turned out. On the back I Used Crystal Effects to glue the cork so they will not to scratch the furniture.
It turns out that embossing the tiles and then adding a sealant works well. I used Minwax  Polycrylic Protective Clear Stain   and applied two coats with a foam brush that I could throw away. I let the coaster dry a half hour in between coats. Another great feature with the Minwax Finish is that it cleans up with water.

What you need to make this project:

Stone Ceramic Tiles that aren't glazed 
 I bought my tiles at Lowe's
Sheet of cork for the back of the coasters
Crystal Effects to glue the cork on the coasters.
Stamp (I used a retired set) and VersaMark Ink
Embossing Powder of your choice of color
Polycrylic Protective Finish of your choice
Heat Tool
Foam brush
Covered surface to protect your work space.

Until next time...Happy Stampin!
Jane
post signature
 

No comments:

Post a Comment